Saturday, 17 October 2015

Why do YOU travel?

If you’ve been online over the past few years- and are under the age of 30- I’m sure that you have come across some online post about Gen Y.  I’ve read too many of these articles than I care to admit, and I’ve discovered two categories that are frequently written about: love and travel.
Check out: Millenial Infographic

Now, please don’t leave.

I promise that this isn’t a stereotypical article.

The mere motivation of why I’m writing this is unique. It’s an assignment for my Master’s course in which we are required to spread some ‘news’ and garner as many comments, views, likes, etc. as possible. The ultimate goal is to illustrate how big of an impact a single person can have online.

Personally I’m using the definition of ‘news’ lightly, but what better subject to write about than something you are a part of?

Millennials. Born in the early 1980s and up through the early 2000s, we’ve survived years consisting of rapid change in technology, the economy, and a greater trend towards globalization and interconnectivity.

More and more of us are going to college and are traveling as part of our studies. Whether it's a weekend camping trip or a year living as a foreigner abroad, the lust of travel seems to be in our blood- even if we don’t have the money to afford it.
Millennial Travel Tendencies

There is even a new term coined for the way in which Millennials tend to travel called “experiential travel.” Millennial travelers tend to experience the city through culture, food and nightlife rather than using traditional channels such as prearranged tours.

Here is where an author would usually insert why travel is ‘healthy for the soul’ by ‘breaking your comfort zone’ or ‘gaining new perspectives’… but I’m not going to do that.

Why travel? Well I have my theories.

In a society where debt is rampant- and more adults are forced to live with their parents- it’s easy to feel a lack of independence. Travel allows you to feel a sense of freedom and independence- even if it’s short lived.


However, is this the main reason why is Generation Y so travel hungry? If you were hoping to find the answer then I’m sorry.

I want to start a conversation and not just ramble on about my conclusions, or accept what other authors suggest. Why have other generations try and define us when we can do it ourselves?

Why do YOU travel?

Please share, leave a comment, or like.


Anything to start a conversation and prove why Millennials are reigning kings and queens of the internet.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting idea.
    I personally travel because I don't think I'll have the opportunity after. So I'm like, why not now? Also the more your frieds travel the more you want to.
    I like your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My parents want me to travel and gain new experiences,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that concept. To me its a bit different though. I grow up very independently in a city with so many cultures at present I wouldn't dare calling it a typical German city anymore. But still, somehow it felt like Id never get the full concept of what that culture is really about.. It was like a tease to me. I knew all these countries and cultures exist but yet i wasn't able to fully experience it. So I traveled. First with my parents (obviously), later (around 16) with friends or even by myself. Its like a constant hunger I am trying to feed.... If that makes any sense at all? x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I travel because it gives me a goal in life. I am a recent graduate from a degree that doesnt just spit you straight out into a job, and I have little motivation to go hunting and establishing a career right now. I need to experience the word and find out what I really want to do with my life; so, travel = goals.

    ReplyDelete